Disclaimer:

Not to be used as a substitute to the real thing! Only by reading Ovid's words will you get the full effect of all the beautiful details.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Epilogue:

"And now my work is done: no wrath of Jove
nor fire nor sword nor time, which would erode
all things, has power to blot out this poem.
Now when it wills, the fatal day (which has
only the body in its grasp) can end
my years, however long or short their span.
But, with the better part of me, I'll gain
a place that's higher than the stars: my name,
indelible, eternal, will remain.
And everywhere that Roman power has sway,
in all domains the Latins gain, my lines
will be on people's lips; and through all time--
if poets' prophecies are ever right--
my name and fame are sure: I shall have life."
-Ovid, page 549

No comments: